Head and Neck Cancer Australia is a not-for-profit organisation established in 2014 to support patients (and carers) with head and neck cancer across Australia and New Zealand. The Head and Neck Cancer Australia website provides a range of evidence-based information developed by experts for patients (and carers) affected by head and neck cancer, covering the cancer care pathway (risks, diagnosis, treatment through to supportive care and life after cancer). It also includes information and tools for health professionals to use with their patients.
Why we collect and handle personal information
We collect personal information about a range of individuals including patients, survivors, caregivers, family members and friends, donors, supporters, staff, health professionals, researchers and service providers.
We collect, store, use and disclose personal information to fund and perform our functions and activities, including:
- to seek, facilitate and record your participation in our projects and work
- to respond to your comments or questions and provide information about us
- to manage our relationship with you and any other person or organisation you represent
- to communicate with you about or activities and services and to ask for donations and support
- for administrative purposes including research, planning, service development, record-keeping and internal reporting
- in relation to any transfer of our operations to another entity
- to assess, train, work with and manage our staff, volunteers and contractors
- protect the safety and security of our staff, premises and assets
- comply with our legal obligations and defend and exercise legal rights. For example, we collect some personal information under applicable laws such as the Fair Work Act, Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act, the Income Tax Assessment Act and other tax laws, Corporations Act, work health and safety acts, workers compensation acts and charitable fundraising and collections acts.
We may not be able to do these things without your personal information. For example, we may not be able to contact you, provide services to you or offer employment to you.
If you do not want your personal information to be used or disclosed for the purposes of promotional and fundraising communications may contact us (see details below) with your request.
The personal information we collect
The types of personal information we collect include:
- Name and contact details e.g., address, phone number and email address.
- Demographic information e.g., gender.
- Login details e.g., username and password.
- Experiences with head and neck cancer e.g., if you choose to share your story with us
- Work details e.g., occupation, role, organisation, work capabilities, CV information.
- Interests, opinions and preferences e.g., professional interests, contact preferences, feedback on our resources and services.
- Interactions and activities e.g., transactions and communications with us (which may be recorded), participation in our events, activity at our premises, use of our online content and IT/communications resources, other activities relating to our organisation.
- Photos and videos e.g., in relation to our events and fundraising activities.
- Payment details e.g., bank account details for staff, details of donations made to us.
- Device information e.g., cookies, IP address, device identifier, device type, operating system. Note that this information will not always be personal information as we will not always be able to reasonably identify an individual from the information.
- Registration, forms and application information e.g., information submitted to us through these methods.
- Human resources information e.g., work conduct, payroll details, training records, reference and background checks.
- Other personal information provided to us voluntarily by individuals.
- Personal information derived from other information we hold e.g., from conducting any review, calculation or analysis.
- Information from third parties, such as the third parties described under ‘Disclosure of personal information’.
- Publicly available information.
Disclosure of personal information
We are subject to a range of confidentiality and privacy obligations which in some cases require us not to disclose personal information or to obtain consent before doing so. Subject to those obligations where applicable, we may in performing our functions and activities disclose personal information to third parties including your representatives, health professionals, researchers, government authorities and our service providers. Our service providers include providers of fundraising, archival, accounting, stakeholder contact, legal, banking, payment, delivery, document management, insurance, website and technology services.
Where you agree, we may also publish information about your fundraising activities or your head and neck cancer story. Personal stories help us engage with the public and may encourage someone to make a donation or take part in a fundraising event.
Like many other websites, our Website may use ‘cookies’ from time to time. A cookie is a piece of information that allows our system to identify and interact more effectively with your device. The cookie helps us to maintain the continuity of your browsing session and remember your details and preferences when you return. You can configure your web browser software to reject cookies however some parts of our Website may not have full functionality in that case. See www.allaboutcookies.org for instructions on how to delete and block cookies for many popular browsers.
Storage and protection of personal information
We implement a range of measures to protect the security of personal information, including – depending on the circumstances – data access controls, encryption, secure premises and network firewalls. We hold personal information electronically and in hard copy form, both at our own premises and with the assistance of our service providers.
Accessing and updating your personal information
You can contact us as set out below to make a request to access or correct any personal information we may hold about you. We may need to verify your identity. Please provide as much detail as you can about the particular information you seek, in order to help us locate it. We will provide our reasons if we deny any request for access to or correction of personal information. Where we decide not to make a requested correction to your personal information and you disagree, you may ask us to make a note of your requested correction with the information.
If you have any questions, concerns or feedback about privacy, or wish to request access to any personal information we hold about you, please contact:
If you contact us with a privacy complaint, we will let you know who will be handling your matter and when you can expect a further response. We may request additional details from you regarding your concerns, and may need to engage or consult with other parties in order to investigate and deal with your issue. We will keep records of your request and any resolution.
Last updated: October 2021
Head and Neck Cancer Australia Limited ABN 44 600 709 733