PLANNING YOUR soup for the souP
Not sure where to start? There is never one way to organise a fundraising event, but a crucial aspect to achieve success is to begin with planning your event in advance! Here are our top 10 tips to make your soup event sensational!
1) Set a Date
The official date for Soup for the Soul is 20-27 July to coincide with World Head and Neck Cancer Day on 27 July. But don’t worry if those dates don’t work for you, you can pick any date in July or August.
2) Decide how you want your event to run
Hosting your own Soup for the Soul event might be challenging if you've not done it before BUT is guaranteed to be loads of fun. Here are some ideas:
- Host a Soup for the Soul event in your home, in your workplace, or in a park. Wherever the location, bringing together close friends, family or colleagues to enjoy a bowl of soup and share stories will make your event a memorable occasion.
- Host a virtual Soup for the Soul event online. Ask friends, family or colleagues to prepare the same soup from a recipe you share or surprise the group with their own personal tweaks.
- Host your very own online soup cooking segment and invite friends or family to join.
- Ask friends and family to share their favourite soup recipe.
3) Ask for Help
If you need help, ask friends, family or colleagues to share the responsibility and enjoy this experience. Can someone help with a soup idea or help spread the word for you? Cancer affects everybody so you’d be amazed how supportive people will be if you ask.
4) Register your event, set your fundraising target and let everybody know
Now that you’ve planned your Soup for the Soul event, we encourage all event hosts to REGISTER your event and set up your own fundraising page - it's simple and won't take long. All registered hosts will receive a FREE Soup for the Soul host kit.
Once you’ve completed this process and set your fundraising target, your URL page link can now be easily shared via email, SMS and social media.
Spread the word and you can ask your guests to do the same to help.
5) Kick start your fundraising
Be the first to make a donation to your fundraising page to get the ball rolling. Your friends, family and colleagues will soon follow your lead, and even if someone can’t make your event, they can still support your fundraising efforts.
You might even consider having a fixed entry fee for your Soup for the Soul event e.g. $10 that everyone can give on your fundraising page.
6) Approach your employer
If you are hosting your fundraiser with work colleagues, why not ask your employer if they will match what you raise.
7) Approach your favourite café or restaurant
Do you have a favourite café or restaurant in your local area?
You might like to consider asking them to donate a percentage of all soups sold during July to Soup for the Soul or ask them to promote Soup for the Soul.
8) Make it easy to donate
Remember to remind people about your event and the link where they can make a donation to your fundraising page . It’s a great way for those who are unable to attend to still contribute. A donation can be made any time before, during or after the event.
9) Embrace the Raffle
Why not setup a raffle to run at your soup event? Reach out to employers and local businesses to help source prizes to use in your raffle. People love raffles and the chance to win something while supporting a good cause.
10) Bring it back to the cause
Finally, on the day, don’t forget to remind your guests that by enjoying a bowl of soup together, they’re making a real difference. Talk about why you have chosen to support Head and Neck Cancer Australia and perhaps share a personal story.
And please remember to take photos and/or record your Soup for the Soul event and share with us!
Back to event homepage.